Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Self-Coaching Tip: Partner With Your Emotions

Did you know that emotions prioritize your thinking? For example, when I am depressed, my thoughts tend to focus on what I don’t have: enough energy, creativity, love, etc. Once my thoughts start down this path, I begin to perceive lack in other areas of my life, such as relationships, finances, health.

This emotion-thought pattern can feed on itself. Pretty soon, I begin feeling a great sense of hopelessness and I just stop trying to do anything. For many years, I tried to ignore my depression. I’d distract myself from it in an effort to make myself feel better, such as shopping or eating. But, then, as my self-coaching skills improved, I learned to partner with my depression and all that changed.

Partnering with your emotions can be very scary, at first. Emotions can feel huge and overwhelming. I never wanted to really feel my depression because I was afraid it would swallow me up and I’d never find my way out of it. But, when I learned how to partner with my depression, I discovered the depression was actually trying to help me prioritize my life and my spiritual growth.

For me, feeling depressed is a sign that I have stepped off my Spiritual Path. It means I am focusing on the wrong thing in my life. But, if I acknowledge the depression and begin partnering with it, the depression leads me back to my Self so I can continue on my Spiritual Journey. My energy returns and I no longer feel a sense of lack.

Here are some suggestions for partnering with your emotions:

• Set an Intention to partner with one emotion. Don’t try to partner with every emotion at once. That’s just too big a job to begin with.

• Pay attention to that emotion. Notice what it feels like in your body. Write down the thoughts that show up when you’re feeling that emotion.

• If that emotion was a person, what would it look like? Sound like?

• Begin a dialogue with your emotion. What does it want?

To learn more about partnering with your emotions, try our Spiritual Cross-Training program, risk free

No comments: